June 25, 2008

Geek


I just finished the 5th year of my Italian class. One night a week, three hours, a whole schoolyear.
Today was grade day. Went there and it went a little like this :

Me : I'm here to pick up my grade

Teacher : So how do you think you did?

Me : Alright, worse than last year though

Teacher : How much did you take last year?

Me : I don't know, around 80%

Teacher : Well, you shouldn't be so modest! Your result is ... 88%

He said I made a very good exam. Ok, really, this doesn't mean so much, it's just Italian. Still I felt again like a little girl whose teacher just told her she did good! Because let's face it, that didn't happen anymore since like primary school. Not because I didn't do well after that, but - from my experience- high school teachers and university professors don't give a crap about their students.
But that's a totally different discussion.

Point is that I was proud of myself for doing well. It sounds geeky even writing it down, but it's the truth! (I do shamefully have to admit that I didn't study for it that much)
The problem with this result is also that it shows that I'm not that bad at Italian, the only thing that's missing is the guts to actually speak it around Italians... which could be useful!

After my intention to blog more, I also need to speak Italian more.. with all these good intentions it kinda feels like the 1st of January...

No comments: